4.29.2009

Food is Good #5: Banana-Cinnamon Waffles

This is an incredible recipe I acquired from my good friend. I love it for many reasons:

1. Andrew loves them and eats at least two every time I make them.
2. The flavor is so good that you don't have to add syrup (a plus when you're trying to control sugar intake for yourself or your kiddies).
3. They have flaxseed. Flaxseed is a powerfood.
4. They have buckwheat flour. Another powerfood.
5. Just yum.

By the way, we've been eating a lot of breakfast foods lately. Thus, the many breakfast recipes.

BANANA CINNAMON WAFFLES

1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. buckwheat flour
1/4 c. ground flaxseed
2 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. ground cinnamon (I double this because I L-O-V-E the cinnamon flavor)
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 c. fat free milk or soymilk
3 T. butter, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 large ripe banana, mashed (I also double this because I usually have my bananas go brown in two's...don't ask me why)

Combine flours, flaxseed and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.

Combine milk, butter and eggs, stirring with a whisk; add milk mixture to flour mixtrue, stirring until blended. Fold in mashed banana.

Cook in a waffle iron.

Yields about 12 waffles. I freeze my leftovers and pop them in the toaster for Andrew in the mornings. Another dose of fabulous!!

1 comment:

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

Sounds delicious! I also need your Brussels sprouts recipe. Justin talked it up on Sunday!!