8.03.2009

Particular to Pregnancy #3: Leaner Legs

As my belly expands with no sign of stopping, I like to focus on areas of my body where I still have some control (i.e. arms and legs). I've added this little cardio routine into my daily workout for the last week or so and have LOVED the results.


Here's the plan, minute by minute:




*Shuffle: Turn to the left, squat slightly, and shuffle (step your right foot to the right, bring your left foot toward it, then repeat, staying in a slight squat the entire time).

The awesome thing about this workout is that when you walk, you're targeting your legs and butt, but when you turn sideways, you're working your inner and outer thighs. It's like a 360 degree workout for your legs. And, because your body isn't used to the motion, you are using more muscle groups and more energy to do it. So, you're burning up to 60% more calories walking sideways than you do walking forward.

PS. I hold on to the handrails on the treadmill when I'm shuffling because I don't have great balance when I'm pregnant. I'd imagine it would be even better if I wasn't afraid of falling down.

1 comment:

Jill said...

i am with you, if i can keep my arms + legs toned i will be pleased.

i tried the shuffle on the treadmill this morning, its a little tricky at first! but i can definitely feel it. thanks.