8.03.2009

Food is Good #6: Beef Chipotle Burritos

I have a serious problem with getting enough iron while I'm pregnant, so we up the red meat meals to two a week. Let me tell you, this one is SO worth the heartburn. It's probably one of my favorite meals.

BEEF CHIPOTLE BURRITOS (from Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book)

Prep: 20 Minutes
Cook: 8-10 Hours
Makes: 6 Servings

1 1/2 lbs. boneless beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
1 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained (or about 2 fresh tomatoes, diced)
1 small onion, chopped
1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (I use chipotle so much that I actually puree mine and freeze them. I use about 3 T. of the puree, but that makes it Mexican hot...I'm not joking about the heartburn)
1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1/4 tsp. ground cumin (again, I use about a tablespoon because I LOVE the smoky flavor)
1 clove garlic, minced

1. Cut the meat into 6 pieces and trim the fat. Put everything in a crock pot, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5. Remove the meat from the crock pot, shred, and stir in cooking liquid to desired consistency.

2. Add whatever you want to make it a burrito. We use delicious homemade tortillas, pico de gallo (like you need more spice), lettuce, jicama and black beans. And cheese for the Mr.

Nutrition Facts:

Approx. 13 g fat per serving, 71 mg. cholesterol, 433 mg sodium (less if you use unsalted tomatoes or fresh tomatoes), 29 g carbs, 30 g protein, 2 g fiber.

No picture for this one. We consumed them much too quickly to get a snapshot.

1 comment:

Jen Suman said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! I love your recipes. I had some steak in the freezer that I wanted to use, but when I'm pregnant I have a hard time eating steak. Just doesn't sound appetizing. So I was really excited to find this recipe! I made these last night and my whole family gobbled them up. This is definitely a keeper!